For those who don’t know, I left my full-time job in the spring of 2013 when my husband excepted a new position out of state (Oklahoma to be exact). At that time, we made the decision that I would stay home with our two boys. And, not to be dramatic, but I think I have learned more about myself, children, and life in this year and a half (roughly) than in the 32 before it. Allow me to share some of the gems I’ve mined from this experience.
1. Nothing can uplift the spirit, heal the body, or enliven the mind like a good night’s sleep/good nap. Sleep is truly God’s gift to us humans and only a fool throws away the opportunity to get needed rest. I’m not talking about lazing days away or sleeping twelve hours a night. But not giving your body and mind the rest it requires EVERY night is stupid and disastrous, for everyone.
2. Anyone who still says/believes that stay-at-home parents don’t work, need to have their genitals punched. Seriously, we’re doing $250,000/year jobs and still have to justify our existence to people. I know my mom is going to read this post so I’ll refrain from using bad language, but you know what I’m thinking.
3. A good babysitter is worth his/her weight in gold. By “good” I mean trustworthy, honest, firm and loving with your children etc.
4. Most grown-ups in group work environments behave no better than toddlers/preschoolers. Looking back on some of the jobs I’ve had or listening to my husband’s day at work, I realize my kids can act more mature than a lot of grown-ups in the workforce. Scary.
5. Being a stay-at-home parent is not for everyone… and that is just fine. As I implied in point #2 staying at home with your kids full-time is hard, often grueling, work. Some parents (myself included) are not gifted in this arena. That does NOT make us bad parents. If both parents in a household work full-time, that doesn’t mean their kids are going to grow-up emotionally starved or set to commit mass-murder. Every family is different and has different needs.
I think this mom says it pretty well. And she’s damn funny 🙂
And that is all the wise-woman has for you this morning. So stay out of trouble and love someone well today.