So, I thought it would be fun to share what some of my characters’ favorite dinners (with recipes) would be. First up, Ottilde and her Spicy Extravaganza.
Ottilde is a very down-to-earth, no-frills kinda girl. She also is incredibly active and enjoys hearty meals. I always imagine her preferring spicy flavors in some awesome hole-in-the-wall known for its eclectic cuisine and creative drinks/beers.
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
20 chicken wings
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 cup hot pepper sauce
Prep – 15 m Cook – 45 m Ready In – 2 h
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and lightly grease with cooking spray. Place the flour, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and salt into a resealable plastic bag, and shake to mix. Add the chicken wings, seal, and toss until well coated with the flour mixture. Place the wings onto the prepared baking sheet, and place into the refrigerator. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Whisk together the melted butter and hot sauce in a small bowl. Dip the wings into the butter mixture, and place back on the baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, and crispy on the outside, about 45 minutes. Turn the wings over halfway during cooking so they cook evenly.
4. Serve with favorite ranch dressing.
Main Course: Bacon and Kimchi Burgers (recipe by Chef Wesley Genovart and featured on FoodandWine.com)
1/4 c. sambal oelek (Indonesian chili sauce)
1/4 c. mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
4 slices of thick-cut bacon
1 1/4 pounds ground beef chuck
4 slices of American cheese
4 potato buns, toasted
1 cup chopped drained cabbage kimchi (6 ounces)
1. In a small bowl, combine the sambal with the mayonnaise and ketchup and mix well.
2. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the bacon over moderate heat, turning, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes total. Drain on paper towels.
3. Form the beef into eight 1/4-inch-thick burgers and season with salt. Grill over high heat, turning, until browned, 1 minute per side. Make 4 stacks of 2 burgers each on the grill and spoon 1 tablespoon of the sambal mayo over each stack. Top with the cheese, cover and grill over high heat just until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
4. Spread the remaining sambal mayo on the bottom buns. Top with the burgers, bacon and kimchi, close and serve.
5. Serve with hot and crispy sweet potato fries, lightly salted. Mmmmmm!
Dessert: Chocolate Lava Cake a la mode (recipe by Ree Drummond, foodnetwork.com)
Cooking spray, for spraying custard cups
1 stick butter
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Vanilla or cinnamon ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray four custard cups with baking spray and place on a baking sheet.
2. Microwave the butter, bittersweet chocolate and semisweet chocolate in a large bowl on high until the butter is melted, about 1 minute. Whisk until the chocolate is also melted. Stir in the sugar until well blended. Whisk in the eggs and egg yolks, then add the vanilla. Stir in the flour. Divide the mixture among the custard cups.
3. Bake until the sides are firm and the centers are soft, about 13 minutes. Let stand 1 minute. Invert on individual plates while warm and serve with ice cream.
Who wouldn’t want to go out to dinner with this chick?!